Berliner Cohen has been advising businesses on their operations over the past 50 years. Our clients’ success is our success.
We are continuing our commitment to providing sophisticated legal advice – while we are keeping our social distance. Berliner Cohen has been digital for some time, and thus our ability to seamlessly transition to remote work is exemplary. Our professionals are all working remotely with secure network connections.
Businesses around the country, and world, are grappling with how to handle the myriad of issues arising in the wake of COVID-19. The law is changing daily. We are reviewing the new laws and the interpretation of those laws daily.
COVID – 19 Task Force
If you or your team have any questions at all during this time, do not hesitate to reach out to a member of our COVID19 Task Force team. To reach us via phone, please contact our main line at: 408.286.5800
Christine H. Long, Department Chair
Ms. Long is tracking and guiding clients on all matters relating to Employment Law under both State and Federal Laws. Ms. Long is
- Reviewing and tracking the varying County, State and Federal Orders and each of their unique interpretations of “Essential Business,” “Essential Infrastructure,” and “Minimum Basic Operations”
- Advising on how to develop and manage a remote workforce
- Reviewing and Understanding the Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- Advising on how to compensate employees for time off due to quarantine, isolation, or “Shelter in Place” orders and what the exceptions are for each type of employer
- Addressing COVID-19 privacy
- Advising on employees’ eligibility for SDI, PFL, and UI benefits through the EDD
Ms. Nguyen is a seasoned real estate attorney. She is assisting with:
- Advising on lease interpretation/force majeure/rent abatement
- Construction contract interpretation
- Navigating interruptions to real estate purchase and sale transactions
- Advising on compliance with 1031 exchange deadlines
- Property management issues/building operations during shutdowns
A skillful corporate law attorney, Mr. Landrum is available for:
- Contract interpretation and compliance, including advising on “force majeure” clauses
- Advising on shareholder meetings in a virtual setting, providing notices and requirements for capital calls and other emergency funding, and related corporate operations
- Advice relating to financial covenants in financing agreements and other contracts, and notifications to parties regarding the same
- Advising the board of directors regarding adoption of policies that may be material to the operation or continued existence of the business
- Tax laws relevant to COVID-19, including tax credit for COVID-19 Sick Time and Paid Family Leave
An experienced Trust and estates attorney, Ms. Sepulveda is assisting in:
- Preparing Estate Plans, including Trusts, Durable Powers of Attorney, Medical Powers of Attorney, Wills and other necessary instruments to preserve assets and ensure clients’ wishes are clearly set forth in the appropriate manner.
- Advising in Trust and estate administration
- Advising beneficiaries of Trusts and estates
- Formation of entities to hold assets
- Funding assets to trusts
- Wealth transfer planning, including tax efficient strategy