Ms. Long maintains a diverse litigation practice in employment, hospitality, business litigation and real estate. Ms. Long is the Chair of the Employment Law Practice Group and Hospitality Practice Group.
Ms. Long’s employment and hospitality litigation practice includes handling wage and hour claims, claims of employment discrimination, ADA compliance, wrongful termination, and breach of employment contract cases. She has experience with class action litigation, FLSA and EEOC investigations and ADA Compliance. In addition to her litigation practice, Ms. Long counsels clients on all aspects of employment, including complaints made to and investigations initiated by the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, Labor Commissioner, and the EEOC on matters relating to employment including compensation issues, mandatory leaves of absence, reasonable accommodations, and reductions-in-force for individuals, companies and local government. Ms. Long regularly speaks on employment and hospitality issues of interest.
In the real estate and business litigation areas, Ms. Long has represented parties in a variety of matters, including commercial and residential sales disputes, partnership disagreements and dissolutions, partition actions, commercial landlord/tenant suits, easement and boundary claims, and CC&R.
- Represented business owner in Administrative and State Court proceedings relating to complex licensing issues; after trial began, successfully negotiated settlement for business owner
- Represented employer with multiple businesses in a class action case successfully defeating class certification; after five weeks of trial on the remaining individual claims obtained full defense verdict
- Represented defendants in a family dispute relating to corporate business and successfully had matter dismissed without payment of any sum
- Represented employer in wrongful termination and breach of contract case and obtained a defense verdict
- Represented restaurant owner in class action and administrative proceedings
- Successfully negotiated favorable result for owner in civil case and significantly reduced assessment sought in administrative proceedings
- "Rules and Regulations Governing Employee Restructuring," California Hotel & Lodging Association's Northern California Hotel & Lodging Conference
- “Contractor or Employee? Legal Pitfalls in Worker Classification,” Berliner Cohen Breakfast Series
- “ADA Access – Viewing Your Business from the Outside,” HR West
- “Hiring Caregivers: Legal and Financial Considerations,” Berliner Cohen Breakfast Series
Articles / Publications
- Please see Ms. Long’s publications on our California Hospitality Resource page.
- Born in Sacramento, California
- Interests include travel, hiking, and reading
- State Bar of California
- United States District Court, Northern, Central, and Eastern Districts of California, Colorado
- Santa Clara County Bar Association, 2001 – present
- Stanislaus County Bar Association, 1999 – present
- American Trial Lawyers Association, 1996 – present
- National Association of Women Lawyers, 1998 – present
- California Hotel and Lodging Association, 2007 – present
- San Jose Host Lions East Valley, 2001 – present
- P.E.O., 2002 – present
- McGeorge School of Law, Adjunct Professor of Trial Advocacy, Fall 1998 – 2008
- McGeorge School of Law, J.D., Mock Trial Competition Team; Order of the Barristers; Outstanding Student Service Award; National Association of Women Lawyer’s Outstanding Law Graduate Award, 1998
- University of the Pacific, B.A., Political Economy, 1994